Thursday, December 08, 2005

What Do you Read?


In these days of living on the fast lane no thanks to the boom in Technology and how it has affected our daily living, it's very easy to get caught up and ignore the key things that equip us for daily Victory. Many Christians get through days, weeks and (God Forbid!) months without actually READING their most precious possession, The Bible..

So this answers your question: On the Train, I often Read my Bible. As I pulled it out again from my bag this morning and opened its wonderful pages, I got the usual stirs. I can imagine some minds wondering how a 21st century man like me would delight in reading the Bible when there are loads of "other" books (magazines, journals, newspapers, novels etc etc) to read. I don't mind the stirs, infact I am hoping that my pre-occupation with Reading my Bible would influence some to do likewise, or permit a curious mind to ask me about what fascinates me......and then my chance to bless his life may come!

You see, I can't afford to get caught up in the 21st century that my closest contact with God's word comes only when I am in church or as most have resorted to, listening to the reading of the Bible on Dvds, Cds or magnetic tapes. Nothing replaces spending time and doing some READING of the Bible for yourself...

"Till I come, pay ATTENTION to READING of scriptures, to exhortation, to doctrine" (1 Tim 4:13, emphasis mine).

"Whereby when you READ, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of God" (Eph 3:4, emphasis mine)

For me, no other means of knowing God's instruction can replace READING it! Listening to a Cd/Dvd rendition while I shower, dress up or drive to work, sermons taught in church, logging onto the Internet to read daily devotionals or watch/listen to my favourite preachers do some enriching, yes.......But the 30mins train ride to work, and 30mins back home in the evening (whew! 1 whole hour) of enjoying the World's greatest Book cannot be traded for any other activity. And I do more reading elsewhere..

It should be the same for you. Do you take time out to READ your Bible? You can start today. Therein lies the wealth you seek, herein hides enrichment for life's successes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool website. i do read alot but right now ve not gone tru d whole site.i read novels christian books n my bible.gues i wil comment beta wen ve gone tru it all.tk kia

Unknown said...

Thanks Bimbo, I do hope you'll visit these pages often and I'll be happy to read from you as well.

Beeci said...

Again True words…but err my iPod has replaced the hard copy of my Bible…yeah used to read my Bible on the train too “pre-iPod”…now I can read it in various translation fitted in the palm of my hand! I lurve tekinologi!