Monday, December 19, 2005

I got thinking....



The past week has been filled with Events glad, mad and sad! One of these struck my emotions and made me a little angry as well. I know the international community may have heard about the recent spate of air disasters in Nigeria and may be aware of the lacklustre attitude of government and authorities to public safety in that rich African country. What is more alarming is the response by the leaders, to issues of national (and international) concern as this.

But I won't go on about "what i's should be dotted and t's crossed". For me, last week was tragic in that the Christian world lost one of her gems; the indefatigable Bimbo Odukoya as she made her way to one of several ministry responsibilities. Her aircraft never landed and she lost her life amongst several other passengers and threw the nation and the church into mourning.

Pastor Bims as she was fondly called was associate pastor of the Fountain of Life Church, Lagos, SW Nigeria who in her time impacted many people with God's word. A role model, mentor and woman of valor, she will indeed be missed. A wonderful woman, who managed the affairs of the Lord with dignity and reverence. However I rejoice and celebrate her life, and I got thinking.....

Pastor Bims made her life count! As a christian, she worked and carried the father's injuction to herald his name and made it her clarion call till her last breathe. I got thinking.......how much of this have I done in my life? I got thinking.....how much of her life have we who mourn her emulated? She will be buried this week, and many mourners will be there I presume. An ode will be read and all will celebrate a life well spent in Christ.

But will we think, how much of our lives have we made to count so far? How much will count when we go home? Pastor Bims is asleep, and we who are awake should get thinking........and oh! need I say ACTING?

No comments: