Sunday, December 04, 2005

The First words.........

I remember one Thursday evening in 1997. It was like any other evening and the only thing a young undergraduate student would want to do is either go to the library or hang out with some friends. Alas that evening was different for me. I decided to honour an invitation to a church gathering where I heard the words that changed my life forever!

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation" (Gal 6:15).

From the words of the preacher and as I have come to learn over the years, Paul is teaching us that the cross of Jesus and our acceptance to God is not by virtue of our lineage, heritage or background. The Jews in those days were proud and bragged about their relationship with God that was founded on the covenant relationship God established with them via Moses. The symbol of this agreement was that Jews were to be circumcised "to show" that indeed they were the chosen ones that God had delivered at the hands of Egypt and had established a relationship with them based on the Law of Moses.

Paul however teaches that now that Jesus Christ has come and died for us with the effects of his work (coming, dying, ressurecting and living today for us), what counts is "THE NEW CREATURE". If you are born again, you are a New Creature (2 corin 5:17) and this is the only symbol of acceptance before God. This status is the yardstick for measuring our relationship with God.

Isn't it reassuring that it doesn't matter what your background is, neither does it count what your past is? As long as you are in Christ and have identified with his cross, then you are in relationship with him. The Father of Glory and maker of the worlds does not count your heritage or past against you, he only sees you in light of your "New Creature" status. And if you are one, then you are accepted.

Any wonder Paul would say in the preceeding verse that he would rather boast in the cross? These words changed my life as I knew that all I needed was to accept the work of Calvary and not look back at my past or any other thing I counted against myself. Afterall God didn't count them against me!

I rededicated my life to Jesus the next service after this, and I have lived in this liberty ever since.

No comments: