Monday, December 18, 2006

This Hurts

I know this is a little digression from the subject matter that is the essence of my blog. However I can't help posting this. My passions for true governance seems to engulf me daily and I am righteously angry at the latest of the shambles that my beloved country came up with during the weekend. I read Funmi's blog and had to make comments, added below.

It's a shame Funmi...a travesty that Nigeria has become a puppet playground for men who toy around with bloated egos and despicable characters. I must admit that I didn't see this coming. Reading and following after trends from the UK, I had hoped that all the news about Yar'adua were mere assumptions. And to think he's been paired with a certain Jonathan Goodluck????

Like a friend of mine said in his IM to me this morning; mumu + mumu = Obj 3rd term. Something is wrong with our minds, nay our values and priorities. What is this love for power, position and money? Even at almost 80, why is this old man still meddling around with 9ja like the nation is some sort of extended family of his, running as he dares fit?

To even zone the presidency to the north is the biggest of all shames. I mean, what the heck does zoning a leadership/office/government position to a particular geographic spectre mean? What happened to democratic processes of allowing the people to vote for the man they choose, rather than the next best idiot "zoned" to them? This in my opinion, is one of the tragedies that is called Nigeria.

Until we stop paying undue attention to ethnic diversities and focus on values, ideals, integrity, competence etc, I wonder where we're headed next. So suppose we need a minister of education or a minsiter of energy and such office has been "zoned" to the south, do we then find the next best idiot among the lot of under-qualified men and women to fill these positions rather than consider the man who though from the East, will adequately fill the role?


This is pathetic.

No comments: