Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Oh, the sweetness of the Gospel....

Two poems I love so much are these about the cross of christ and the benefits to me. The first one asks the question about my walk and what ought I do, the second praises the free gift of his salvation. Enjoy!

There's a sweet old story translated for men,
Written in the long, long ago
The Gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
Of Christ and his mission below.

You are writing a gospel, a chapter each day,
By deeds that you do, by words that you say.
Men read what you write, whether faithless or true.
Say, what is the gospel according to you?

Men read and admire the gospel of Christ,
With its love so unfailing and true;
But what do they say, and what do they think
Of the gospel according to you?

'Tis a wonderful story, that gospel of love,
As it shines in the Christ-life divine,
And oh, that its truth might be told again
In the story of your life and mine!

Unselfish mirrors in every scene,
Love blossoms on every sod,
And back from its vision the heart comes to tell
The wonderful goodness of God

You are writing each day a letter to men;
Take care that the writing is true.
'Tis the only gospel some men will read,
That gospel according to you."

I guess the ode preaches itself to me. I ought to live my life as a testimony to others, of the gospel of Christ!

1 comment:

Doro said...

Very True! the message of the hymn is a tale as old as time that we need to allow guide our everyday action. God help us .