Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Ministry & Government

I was reading Funmi Iyanda's blog when the thought stirred my mind with some poignant effect. I have often admired her intelligence and ability to distinguish herself from the easily corrupt sychophants in agbada and kaftan that we have in my beloved country Nigeria. A hidden passion of mine began to stir itself and I began to consider how much I'll love to go back home and take my place among the elite men and women who will inadvertently bring justice, fairness and the rule of law to the world's most populous black nation.

As I considered this again, the struggle raged in my inner being. How would I nurture two passions and realise the fruits when each one demands diligence, focused attention and unbridled participation? In case you don't know what I am talking about, the title helps. I am passionate about God and his work, and while I do not presently sense a calling of God to what is called full-time ministry, I do know (and will follow after) that my fulfillment will someday come when I take my place in some ministry endeavour. Not that I ain't doing that at the moment, but time is going to come when teaching and pastoring on a regular basis will be happily embraced. Or perhaps functioning in the ministry of helps, atttending to the sheep of the Lord. I am convinced about my passion for ministry, and this in much the same way as I am of governance.

Growing up in Nigeria and witnessing the many ills of our society has long etched in my heart a desire to see changes. I am sick of the appalling state of our society, the utter disregard for sound values and the decay in our socio-economy. Being well educated and exposed to right values and ideals of life, I cannot sit with folded arms and watch. Indeed I do not belong to the class of men who watch things happen, or wonder what has happened. I will much rather make things happen. The Likes of Funmi, Prof Pat and the many silent (for now) minds in Nigeria and the diaspora thus attract me. These are the kind of men I'd much rather associate with. People who have sound values and are students of justice and equity.

However I have often wondered how fitting these two varying passions will combine themselves. I have read varying biased thoughts and vendetta poured by the church on a certain Rev Chris Okotie, who though a minister of the gospel seems to be interested in the highest office of the land. Many ascribe that he has lost his vision and direction to follow after ministry. Whatever the case is, I'm not sure Rev Okotie is entirely wrong in declaring an interest in Governance. I agree that the platform and way he's been going about it aren't exactly "ministry-like" and the ideals he seems to hold for Governance somehow contradicts that of true gospel.

Does this however mean that being interested in leadership as a socially responsible christian is wrong? Does such ambition invalidate one's calling by God? I suppose ministry and the gospel should be socially relevant to the people of any community. While we feed the spirits and souls of men with God's message of hope and peace, we also ought to consider how crucial our participation in Governance might help to alieviate many of society's ills. Rather than take tax-payers money and erect monuments of splendour that gulp large sums of money in various cities of the world, perhaps we can consider diverting such funds into community development, feeding the poor, helping the homeless, creating opportunities for people to obtain jobs, empowering men to create their own wealth.

........... to be continued ......

No comments: