Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Relationships: Pros and Cons

Just in case you're hoping to find a list of merits and demerits of relationships, then think again. My post today isn't going to attempt to reel off a host of such. However I will discuss a pertinent matter that got me stired up this morning.

Getting off work last night, I had to dash off to meet up with a dear friend and sister, as she needed some help with her computing software (let's call her G). G is a wonderful person and one whom I think is fast developing a great attitude to ministry. As I spent time in conversation with her, I knew this woman will someday be used of God in great ways. I've got a picture of her on my wall (among others) and as I made to get ready for work, I had to pause and think again what impact the relationship she's in at the moment will have on her.

G's passion, commitment and drive for the work of God has challenged and encouraged me. Though she's just 2 years born-again, it is evident that given the necessary mentoring and teaching, her faith could explode for the glory of God. However I am a bit concerned. I don't know if I'm just in my state of paranoia again, thinking things that aren't there. Whatever the case is, I am hoping (and praying) that G's relationship with (let's call him, W) will be a stirring up even unto greater works.

Why am I thinking this way, you ask? It's because I know W, and have interacted with him for months now, even before he got G's heart. In my honest opinion, W isn't as mature in Christ as G is. There have been a few occasions when we've been having meetings/fellowships with G in attendance and W kinda gets agitated that the meeting is too long (he's not in the same group/cell with G that I coordinate) or wonders why we should even be having such at that time because he'd like to go away with G (he wasn't even seeing her yet!).

Don't get me wrong, I do not have any biased issues with G and W. If they're persuaded in their hearts to have a relationship based on God's principles, that's fine. However I have seen men and women who used to be on fire for God, get involved with a spouse or mate, or build frienships that over time "kills" off the passion for ministry because these associations were with persons who don't share the same drive and zeal.

I may just be presumptous, I hope I am really. But I suppose the holy writ teaches us that our associations should be unto "stirring one another, and so much more as we see the day (of our lord's coming) approaching" The previous verse in Heb 10:24,25 admonishes that we should "consider (observe fully) one another to provoke unto love and to good works (by implication, an act or deed; typically christian work as opposed to just any other kind).

No comments: